As mentioned in my texts, there are hundreds of software tools you can use to assist in managing projects. Below are links to a few resources to get free trials and learn how to use some of them. The first four will be highlighted in my upcoming book, An Introduction to Project Management, Seventh Edition.
Microsoft Project: Below are a few links to this popular tool.
- Free 30-day trial of Microsoft Project. Note that there are several versions/plans of the software in 2021.
- Project training videos from Microsoft
- Free LinkedIn class on Project Online (5 hours 21 minutes for entire course) – can show the transcript wile watching videos. Link to guides and info on older versions of Project.
Jira: Anyone can get an unlimited free version of Jira (with limited capabilities). You can also access a Product Guide and many free tutorials from this site.
- Free version of Jira (unlimited time) available by clicking the “Get it free” link
- Product Guide, tutorials, and additional resources
MindView: This software allows you to create mindmaps which can be used to create a WBS and Gantt chart.
Basecamp: This software includes several different tools to help teams put all of their project data and communications in one place. Instructors and students can request a free account with no time limit from Basecamp.